PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

Coughing after pulling burrs out of hair, 7 years, Happened

Customer Question

Coughing after pulling burrs out of hair
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: 7 years
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about 7?
Customer: Happened after her pulling. part of burr from her hair
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 4 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Are you see her swallowing these?

Any vomiting noted?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
She only swallowed a small piece....she vomited from coughing. She is fine now...I was concerned that a little might be stuck in her throat or maybe it is scratched
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
When she gets excited she starts coughing

Her throat could certainly be irritated from consuming a burr. Typically in these cases a small amount of milk given orally can help coat the throat and then you'll want to feed soft foods only for the next 3-5 days to be sure that the throat heals well.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I do not have to be concerned about the coughing...it is caused from the irritation of the burr

If it persists, I would be concerned and certainly if the coughing persists along with vomiting. These are all signs that she needs to be examined.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No vomitting....she just went outside and wanted to eat grass...now back in drinking water
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
She was trying to eat kleenex etc

You mentioned above that "she vomited from coughing". If that persists, she needs to be seen. You can also

administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. For pets avoiding taking medication readily, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
We have pepcid in the house .....she is quiet now and seems fine...we will watch her and try to keep her quiet so she can rest her throat. How much milk can she have ? She is a 20 cocker spaniel
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
She is eating and drinking and did go when I took her out....any special soft foods you recommend? Eggs...bread....?

I would give her no more than 1/4 cup as it can be a mild laxative. Do not feed human foods. Moisten her kibble with water or you may wind up with a GI upset.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok....and what is your recommendations for cocker spaniel ears.....always draining with wax....not an ear infection type drainage.....they have been like this since we picked her up 7 years ago...

How often are they being professionally groomed?

Are they plucked?

What routine do you use for regular maintenance and how often?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
She cannot have an egg or anything like like that ? She is very fussy and will probably not touch her food if it has water added
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Groomed every 4 to 6 weeks...cleaned weekly....not plucked...her bite is a class 3 so her ear cancels are.very.small
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Canels
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Zymox
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Have not tried Zim

You can feed egg so long as it is cooked in a manner with no oils and no spices. Baked would work, boiled or cooked on the stove top in a non-stick pan.

Very small ear canals can make it difficult to clean. I, personally, would be having the canals plucked if she was my dog. This can help avoid more ability for wax and moisture to build up. I would also be using a cleaner 2x weekly and a drying powder daily. I like this one: http://www.petrx.com/oticare-b-drying-ear-creme-2-oz/

I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating.

I will also check in with you over the next few days for updates on your companion to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. Letting me know how your companion is doing would be greatly appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is your companion?