Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

I think my dog has parvo, He won't eat and has been

Customer Question
I think my dog...

I think my dog has parvo

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your dog?

He won't eat and has been vomiting

Veterinarian's Assistant: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?

Not that I know of

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?

Patron and I believe around three months

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Patron?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog
4/1/2017
Dog Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 1 year ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Have there been any changes to the diet? New food? New treats? Bones? Human food? The opportunity to get into the trash? Torn up toys, etc?

2) How many veterinary visits has he had with vaccines?

3) Any diarrhea?

4) Is he drinking and holding fluid down?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No change in diet. The person who I bought the dog from a month said puppy had shots but I'm not sure how truthful they were with me. I haven't seen any diarrhea. He has been vomiting for three days without eating
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He drinks but throws it up

How old was he when you acquired him?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
2 months

At 2 months, he may have had a single vaccine. How old is he now?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
3 months

And by this age he should have had another vaccine.

Ideally, with the suspicion of parvo, he really does need to be examined and treated by a veterinarian. Diagnostics are available to tell us within a few minutes if parvo is present and hospitalization is usually required, if so.

Failing this, I can give you some steps to take at home to help your companion’s stomach feel better. Be aware that bloody vomiting, diarrhea, etc. may be right around the corner. It often helps to give something to calm the stomach and a bland diet with higher fiber. This can help to reduce the instance of nausea/vomiting, avoid or address changes in the stool, help to move ingested items through the GI tract, etc. You will also want to give a few drops of pancake syrup into his mouth 4-6 times daily to keep his blood glucose up. If it falls too low, he will become lethargic and eventually non-responsive.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. For pets avoiding taking medication readily, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid more nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of the GI upset. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats.

I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating.

I will also check in with you over the next few days for updates on your companion to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. Letting me know how your companion is doing would be greatly appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800