Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My ate a chicken thigh bone 24 hours ago...much to my

Customer Question
My ***** ***** ate...

My ***** ***** ate a chicken thigh bone 24 hours ago...much to my dismay. She had two bowel movements today - morning and late afternoon. No sign of any bones. She does not seem to be in distress but I am wondering how long it takes to pass the bones or if they will be digested and I won't see any evidence...my dogs are so important to me...

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

She is a rescue, roughly 12 - Sassy

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Sassy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sassy?

No she is a very healthy and happy girl...

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/22/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian. replied 1 year ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. The best thing to do here is to just sit it out and continue to keep an eye on Sassy, that is about all you can do as it is not recommended to make dogs sick to recover solid objects like chicken bones in case it causes problems on the way back up. For the moment just monitor her, treat and feed her as normal and see what happens, in my experience most dogs will get way with this, even smaller dogs like yours. But answer your question directly it probably takes four of five days in total for the bones to pass and be digested.

2. When you think it through you will see that wild dogs and feral dogs will be doing this on a daily basis and this is the way they are adapted to feed as opportunistic feeders and scavengers, most of them will get away with this sort of incident and the chances are that a domestic dog such as Sassy will as well. Also some digestion and softening of the chicken bone is possible in your dog's alimentary tract and this will be a factor to help her to pass it.

3. However there are no guarantees and occasionally in the past at my clinic I have seen problems. You would be therefor wise to monitor Sassy for such signs as vomiting, lethargy, not eating, straining or abdominal pain and of course consult your vet without delay if you do see such symptoms. This would be unlikely though.

4. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Sassy's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Sassy is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the chicken bone issue ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott