Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

MHY 15YEAR OLD SHIH TZU SLEEPS ALL THE TIME....HE APPEARS TO…

Customer Question
MHY 15YEAR OLD SHIH...

MHY 15YEAR OLD SHIH TZU SLEEPS ALL THE TIME....HE APPEARS TO BE O.K. WHEN AWAKE, BUT EATS AND GOES BACK TO BED TO SLEEP. HE HAS SOME VISION AND HEARING PROBLEMS....WONDERING IF HE COULD BE DEPRESSED. WE HAVE NEED TO LEAVE THE HOUSE OCCASIONALLY, BUT HE JUST SLEEPS WHILE WE ARE AWAY.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?

Winston......he's a sweetie.....I know he has some hip or knee problem, and that could be part of it....but when he's awake....he's pretty chipper for a 15 year old..

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Winston?

Not really.....we have him on veterinarian prescribed canned food.. (sicence diet)..so his diet is good. we also feed him some chopped carrots and apples....animal cookie now and then for a treat and also one very tiny oyster crackers. ....no dry food....nothing with red dyes, etc....

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog
3/22/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. To answer you directly, dogs do become depressed, mourn, and grieve but before I would attribute those behaviors to your 15 year old, I would thoroughly examine him including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests. I understand that advanced geriatrics are somnolent (sleep a lot) and so his behavior may well be normal for his age but I'm not comfortable telling you that that's the case without ruling our medical disorders first.

There's rarely just one thing wrong at Winston's age but his vet should be able to account for age-related changes in his physical exam and testing and let you know if there are findings inconsistent with Winston's age. His behavior can also represent cognitive dysfunction in dogs. Please take a look at this informative site: http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/neurological/5-signs-dog-dementia/ and let me know if you believe Winston is exhibiting signs of cognitive dysfunction.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?