Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

Gave him dewormer on saturday, he got real bad diarrhea and…

Customer Question
Gave him dewormer on...

Gave him dewormer on saturday, he got real bad diarrhea and vomititng out the worms but since then , still has diarrhea and vomitting but no more worms, no appetite but will drink and then throw that up

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

Not that we know, he was perfectly fine before dewormer he is only 9 weeks and i think it was his first dose of dewormer

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

We also have his sister and she did not have worms and is perfectly fine

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog
3/21/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Poor lad!

It sounds like the wormer may been a bit harsh on his stomach. Of course, we do need to monitor him closely, since seeing these signs for a few days does also raise concerns of non-relates issues like bacterial or viral gut infections, protozoa, reactions to something he could have eaten.

Now since his GI upset sounds severe, we do need to tread with care. Especially as that appetite loss and vomiting of water are both related to the nausea that caused his initial vomiting. With this all in mind, as long as he can keep a bit of water down, we can try some home supportive care to try to settle his stomach. To start, if he hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest his stomach for a few hours first), then you can consider treating him an OTC pet safe antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though if he cannot keep it down due to nausea, that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Afterwards, we'd want to start small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the upset gut; which means more nutrients and less GI upset and less diarrhea. Fiber (ie canned pumpkin) and OTC probiotics (ie Benebac, Fortiflora) can be added to these meals to firm those loose stools quicker and support digestion. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning slowly back to your normal diet.

Since dehydration is a real risk with his having severe diarrhea and vomiting, we need to keep an eye on hydration here. To ensure he’s not becoming dehydrated, there are a few things you can test at home. Further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure his eyes are not looking sunken and that he doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have him seen before this becomes an additional issue (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Finally, as long as there is no blood in those stools, you can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure for infectious issues; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)). This is available OTC at most pharmacies. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (all OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing his upset GI.

Overall, it is quite possible that this wee lad is sensitive to the wormer that you used and we may need to use a different one in the future. Of course, we do need to also be wary of those other possible triggers here. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to settle his stomach. If he cannot keep that or water down at any point, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within a few hours (since he is very young and dehydration is a real worry); then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, rule out fever, test a stool sample, make sure there is nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat him with injectable anti-vomiting medication, fluids, +/- antibiotics to get him back feeling like himself.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.