Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

She's picking up her back leg and limping then running up

Customer Question

she's picking up her back leg and limping then running up and down stairs and walking like nothing is wrong. Took her to the vet last week and said she may just be stressed. Today is the first day she's started up again
JA: OK. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: No, I was out with her the whole time, nothing happened.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 6 months ago.

Hi JaCusttomer,

Let me introduce myself to you first. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a vet assistant and Behaviorist with heavy experience in dog reproduction as a breeder for longer than 20 years. Behavior issues are a specialty of mine.. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will take some time to type up my reply. I hope you can be patient.

What tests were run on her at the vets?

Do you know of any slips she may have had such as on ice?

What breed is she?

Hi Again,

i was hoping to get a response back but don't want you to go without an answer either. Often a dog with a soft tissue injury will start to heal only to reinjure themselves leading to the limps return. That is one possible scenario. Some smaller dogs have luxating patellas. A luxating patella is when the knee pops in and out of joint. The more often it pops out, the easier it will pop out in the future. Often a dog will limp but extending the leg all the way out will help it pop back into place allowing them to run or climb stairs etc. The following explains this:

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1569&articleid=457

http://petsurgery.com/medialpatellarluxation.html

The following site goes over the surgery to correct this.

http://vetsurgerycentral.com/patella.htm

Surgery that is performed early has a higher chance of success as the more the knee pops in and out of the joint, the easier it is for it to do so.

Lyme disease is another possible cause for a limp that comes and goes especially if it switches legs.

The primary symptom of Lyme disease is arthritis 2 to 5 months after tick exposure and generally strikes the joints closest to the tick bites. Other symptoms include anorexia and general malaise. Frequently a dog will show lameness that last from days to months first in one leg which will then switch to another leg.

You can read about Lyme disease here:

http://www.workingdogs.com/doc0043.htm

I hope I've given you excellent service. If so, I'd appreciate a 5 star rating. If not, or if you have any other questions at all, please reply here and I'll be happy to follow up with you.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. I strive to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful?.