Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

I have a red heeler that gets rashes and little scabby

Customer Question

I have a red heeler that gets rashes and little scabby patches
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Razzberry and she will be a year in April
JA: How old is Razzberry?
Customer: She will be a year in April
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Razzberry?
Customer: No she's a typical energetic heeler
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 5 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

Expert:  Lisa replied 5 months ago.

Are these rashes itchy?

Has she always had it?

What do you feed her?

Where are the rashes located on her body?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
They are on her belly and under her legs. Seems like it gets worse goes away and comes back. It's on and off. I feed her beneful
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
They don't seem that itchy to her
Expert:  Lisa replied 5 months ago.

Thanks for answering my questions. I really appreciate it.

Without being able to see your dog in person, it's pretty much impossible to tell you why she's looking the way she does or what could possibly be causing it. The list of things it 'could be' is nearly endless: allergies, infestation of parasitic mites (mange), thyroid problems (although she's awfully young for that!) are just a few.

My suggestion is to call your regular vet in the morning and schedule an appointment for them to see your pup and see what they can determine. They'll most likely do a skin scraping of the affected areas (where they use the edge of a scalpel blade to gently scrape off the top layer of skin, looking for any mites), and possibly run some blood work to see if there is a thyroid issue.

In the meantime, if the lumps seem to be itchy at all, or if she seems to be uncomfortable, you can give a little Benadryl at the dose of 1-2 mg per pound of body weight (meaning if your dog weighs 20 pounds, you can give 20 mg the first dose, and if that doesn't help, you can give 40 mg at the next dose) one time every 8-12 hours.

Luckily she's a pretty young dog, so my best guess is that she's got a bit of a bacterial infection going on...which will be easy to clear up with some oral antibitoics.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She's had it off and on for several months now. The vet said it was fine at her last puppy visit but it seems to get worse when it comes back. It also seems worse when she's been outside for long periods of time.
Expert:  Lisa replied 5 months ago.

It's likely that they figured it was just going to be a little rash that would get better on it's own, but since it's now been going on for several months, it warrants a revisit.