Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My dog has been having seizures recently and today he

Hi, My dog has been...
My dog has been having seizures recently and today he wouldn't eat all day but it looks like his back spine is petruding a lot more than usual, his tail is between his legs and sometimes when he's standing, he sways back and forth.
He's a 13 year old chi Huahua
1/11/2017
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you.

I am sorry Timbit is not feeling well.

When did the seizures start? Is he on medication for this? Did you mean that he had several seizures in one day?

When you say the back is protruding, do you mean there is an arch in the back?

Is he able to jump on and off furniture?

When was the last time he ate?

He's been have seizure ranging from once/ twice a week to once a month.He is usually with my dad but my dad is currently away on holiday and I work 9 hours a day so I haven't been able to monitor him as closely.He is not on medication yet but I am scheduled to pick up his medication (it got better for a while so we thought we might not have to).Yes, his back is arched. He is able to jump on and off furniture.He ate a little bit this morning, he didn't eat all day yesterday and had dinner the night before that.

Thank you for that information. Because of the way you describe the back I would suspect a disc issue in the spine called Intervertebral Disc Disease. This happens when the tissue that cushions the disc turns hard and presses on the nerve.

Generally anti inflamatory drugs and pain meds are tried first but if they don't work then steroids may be tried.

It is important to keep him well rested and not jumping, climbing steps, etc, until you can see your Vet. Since you are getting meds for him ask them if they will give something for the pain that won't interfere with the meds you are picking up.

For a while you may have to bring his dinner to him so he does not have to move much.

Here is more on disc disease. lower spine http://www.petplace.com/dogs/intervertebral-disc-disease-thoracolumbar-area-in-dogs/page1.aspx

What is the cause for him throwing up though? That seems like a separate thing

You did not mention anything about vomiting in your original question. This too can account for the arch in the back.

When did it start?

Has the dog eaten any human food and if so what?

Could the dog have gotten into garbage or a toxin?

Just yesterday when I was at work and he wouldn't eat all day yesterday. It happened twice while I was at work.

did he eat anything unusual or human food?

Does he eat any non food items such as raw hides , bones, etc?

Hi Emily,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Timbit. How is everything going?
Sally G.
i mixed wet dog food with dry dog food. he was good for two days and threw up again.

It sounds like there could be a partial blockage , but you would need to know if he ate anything that was non food. You have not responded regarding rawhides, greenies. bones etc. At this point because at times he does not show interest in food , then the will show interest but is not able to keep it down , it is something more serious than just stomach upset. This question came in six days ago, too long for a virus to keep hold.

Only an x ray or hands on exam is going to find something in the abdomen that has been going on for six days.

hmm. no he doesn't eat raw hides, greenies or bones.

Thank you for that information. What you can try is fasting him for 24 hours then start a bland diet of boiled chicken and cooked white rice. If his intestinal tract is inflamed the fasting and the diet will help with that. Gradually you want to try adding his normal food in with the chicken and rice to reintroduce it to him. If there is still a problem I would recommend he be seen.

You can try also giving him a pepcid AC one in the AM and one 12 hours later and see if that helps.

I would also keep an eye on his vital signs and I will direct you to a link that will tell you how to do that so you know if you have an emergency.

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/what-is-normal-in-dogs/page1.aspx

That sounds good, I will try that!

I hope things improve for her soon.

thanks Sally!

you are most welcome:)

Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Sally G.
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant