PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My puppy is 4 months old the past two days he has thrown up

Customer Question

My puppy is 4 months old the past two days he has thrown up after he eats. He is drinking water playin etc . He doesn't throw up after every meal but at least once the past few days
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 6 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Jennifer, did they perform any contrast with these x-rays?

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food? New treats? Human food? The opportunity to get into the trash? Torn up toys, etc?

Is he playing hard after a meal or calm when he vomits?

How often is he fed?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No new food ,treats etc...Sometimes is literally right after he eats tonight he was playing then threw up
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No I don't believe they did contrast with the xray
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He is fed twice a day
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Right after he throws up he goes back and plays like nothing is wrong

There may or may not be blockages. The problem with a regular x-ray is that it only tells us if there is a blockage that shows on x-rays. A stick, part of a toy, a dryer sheet, part of a rubber ball, condom, etc. these types of foreign bodies often don't show on x-rays and do require contrast. That said, most dogs feel horrible with a full blockage so a partial blockage may be a consideration. If this persists, he really needs to have more diagnostics performed. For some dogs, they also need to have x-rays from their mouth down to where their ribs meet. Some puppies will have congenital issues (or can acquire an esophageal foreign body) that cause food to become trapped in the esophagus causing irritation and vomiting at random times, without the puppy feeling poorly.

It may be worth separating feeding times into 4-6 feedings and to see if the vomiting persists, to change the consistency of the food from kibble to moist or from moist to pureed, etc. to see if this has any bearing on his vomiting as well. For 1-2 hours following a meal, puppies should be encouraged not to partake in heavy play, too, as this is a time of increased risk for upset stomach due to activity.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800