Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My dog has eaten marijuana cookies. There were 9 cookies and

Customer Question

Hello my dog has eaten marijuana cookies. There were 9 cookies and he ate them about 12 hours ago
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Dean and he is 2 and a half
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Dean?
Customer: He's a black lab About 50-60 pounds
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Symptoms of THC ingestion range from vomiting, ataxia ("drunken sailor") and somnelence (sleepiness) to severe depression and even coma although most dogs tolerate THC very well and predicated upon the amount ingested will remiss unaided within a few hours up to 4 days. May I have an update on Dean, please?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
He has vomitted twice within this period the last time was about an hour ago. He has been sleeping a lot and when he walks around he can't walk or limps on his back leg. I can't get him to drink water and he hasn't eaten since about 6 hours ago. He wouldn't eat a treat but then he threw up so I thought maybe his stomach was upset.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I saw another specialist on here recommend pedialyte
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is this being seen???

Thank you. I wouldn't give such a patient anything orally because his mentation (mental status) is altered and swallowing may be impaired resulting in food or water being aspirated into his lungs. He appears to be stable 12 hours after ingestion, however. You can continue to monitor Dean or, instead, have a 24 hour veterinary facility admit him to be given supportive care in the form of IV fluids. There's no specific antidote and so decontamination at this time would involve tubing him with activated charcoal which may or may not be helpful this long after ingestion of the THC.

The average duration of clinical signs is 18-24 hours.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you. Should these effects just wear off in time? Like I said he wasn't drinking so I was trying to make him, but you said this is ill advised.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Should I not attempt to feed him his dinner?

Yes, the average duration of clinical signs is 18-24 hours. Correct, it's best not to force fluids or food at this time. The toxic dose can't be established in dogs due to variations in purity of the drug. Please note, however, that fatalites haven't been seen until at least 3 grams/kg of body weight (~70 grams for Dean) have been ingested.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
does that mean he isn't at risk for fatality?? Like I said it has been over 12 hours and he weighs about 50-60 lbs. I'm not sure how many kilograms that is

It doesn't look my replies are posting fully. 3 grams/kg of body weight = 3 grams/kg x 22.7 kg (50 lbs) which is approximately 70 grams of THC for Dean. He didn't ingest 70 grams of THC and so isn't at risk of dying. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Oh okay, did you make an estimate for the amount of thc he ingested? Thank you so much you've been making me feel better. His motor skills are my biggest concern at the moment because he can't really walk
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Do you advise going to a vet for ivs or should he be okay getting over it at home?

I know that 9 cookies couldn't contain 70 grams of THC. You're quite welcome. Ataxia ("drunken sailor") is the most common symptom of THC ingestion in dogs. I would be patient with him at home for now. If you feel he's worsening (unlikely at this time) please admit him for supportive care to a 24-hour facility.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Okay! He does appear a bit more alert at times than before. Should I be concerned about that food I gave him earlier - about 7/8 hours ago he ended up throwing up. And the water was a small amount

No, anything given that long ago isn't a problem now. Good to hear that he's coming around! I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok thank you! Like I said it's been a little over 12 hours, and you said it takes 18-24 usually. If it's longer than 24 hours should I be worried if he's not completely back to normal? Or as long as he's showing signs of improvement it should be ok?

As long as he continues to improve, you can continue monitoring him at home. He might not be completely normal by 24 hours post-ingestion but I would suspect that he would feel well enough to drink and eat on his own by that time.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok! He is shaking quite a lot at the moment. But appears to look normal and coherent.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Every little thing worries me so I'm sorry haha thank you for being such a useful source

I understand. Thankfully the symptoms of these dogs are more worrisome than life-threatening!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
do you think the shaking is just his ataxia? One other thing that's worried me is these cookies were wrapped in Saran plastic wrap

His shaking is likely due to hypothermia. Keep him warm! The wrap poses another potential problem - obstruction of his small intestine. Persistent vomiting and/or anorexia are the hallmark signs of such obstruction and if seen should prompt having his GI tract X-rayed or ultrasounded.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am examining his vomit from earlier and there are large chunks of plastic wrap in it
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What does this tell me?

That he thankfully is getting rid of the plastic wrap. We just hope that he gets rid of the majority of it!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I hope so! When should I deem that his vomiting is happening is happening from obstruction and not the THC? If it wears off and he wants to eat but can't keep it down?

I don't expect any more vomiting from THC - even after eating or drinking. Remember, it's persistent vomiting and/or anorexia that suggests obstruction.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
How long would it take for those symptoms to show? Long term? I apologize for all of the questions!

That's difficult to predict. It would be predicated upon how much wrap remained in the GI tract and where it obstructed. I would think you would see symptoms within 24-48 hours if he became obstructed.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok! Thank for you the info. He pooped and discovered more wrap in it. When should he gain mobility? Or is there no telling? He won't use his back legs at all

Good. Less wrap to worry about. He's stable and improving. Be patient with his legs. I promise he'll use them again!