Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My Pekinese rescue is 6!years old and has very itchy small

Customer Question
scabs over her entire body...
My Pekinese rescue is 6!years old and has very itchy small scabs over her entire body. She has been on antibiotics has flea treatment and 8 month collar and still suffers. I've had her a month. I give her twice weekly baths and finish bath with an epsome salt rinse to promote healing. It does nothing but soften the scabs. Her skin is so nasty and she is miserable. What can I do. Vet seems clueless. Checked for mange but it was neg. help please
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog
1/10/2017
Dog Specialist: Kelly Hill, Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Veterinarian

Hi this is Dr. Hill. From what you are describing, it sounds like she has allergies. Allergies in dogs are typically a combination of environmental (inhaled) and food (proteins, grain, dairy). If it were initially a severe reaction to fleas, it can take up to 2-3 months to completely clear the household of fleas. The Seresto collar you are using is an excellent option. I would caution to be careful with over bathing and then also with using the Epsom salt rinse. You are stripping her natural oils and over drying her skin with the twice daily baths and then rinse. If you are using a shampoo designed for treating allergies and skin infections, then once a day bathing with 5-10 minutes contact time is optimal. I like Duoxo calm and Chlorihexidene PS shampoos. Both should be available on Chewy.com

She would also benefit from omega fatty acid supplements (Vet One Omega or Grizzly Salmon Oil) daily. A high quality diet that has a novel protein source and is grain free is also crucial to helping her. A true hypoallergenic diet food trial would be with either Science Diet Z/D or Ultamino. These are prescription diets that you can get from a local veterinarian or order on Chewy.com and they will fax a prescription for your local veterinarian to sign off on. This diet should be fed exclusively for 10 weeks to see how her skin will react. I know skin problems can be challenging, but there is a solution. The other option is that you can ask for a referral to a board certified dermatologist. If you would like to post your town and state, I can look for a dermatologist in your area for you. Please ask any follow up questions. I am off and on the computer over the course of the day and make sure to check in each evening. If you are satisfied with my response, then please take time to rate my answer. Take Care.

Not twice daily baths, I give her twice weekly.
Why does she have the scabs over her entire body? Severe itching. Scans are light in color. When I say small scabs over entire body, even her tail has them.
She is on science diet already.
She is now shivering and watery eyes.
Going to vet today for more help.
Are you related to ***** ***** DVM? Cincinnati OH

No I am not related to Dr. Hill in Ohio. When the body is reacting to an allergen it creates inflammation, which can allow bacterial overgrowth and then thus pustules or scabs. I am glad that you have her on the Z/D diet. It can take up to 10 weeks to see if the diet will make a difference. Hopefully, your veterinarian will be able to make her more comfortable. Take care.

Hi Stefanie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

katjadvm
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Veterinarian