Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have owned, bred and shown dogs for over 40 years.
60411192

My dog removed a surgical staple and I can't find it. I

My dog removed a surgical staple and I can't find it. I think she ate it! She's a Bichon
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Lucy age 10.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lucy?
Customer: She's stubborn!!

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry that Lucy is deciding to remove her staples but I hope to reassure you that this isn't likely to cause any issues for her.

These surgical stables can sometimes be difficult to find since they're so small but even if she ingested one (or even more than one), I wouldn't expect any issues to develop, even though she's a small dog.

It typically takes larger items which might have sharp edges for intestines to be irritated to the point of diarrhea developing ...or worse.

I'd feed her a portion of her normal meal and not worry that this staple will cause problems for her.

I hope this helps to provide peace of mind. Deb

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you! At what point should I be concerned? What are the symptoms I should watch for in the next few days

You're more than welcome.

Honestly, I'd be extremely surprised if this staple causes any issues but if it does, they'll be pretty obvious:

vomiting

possibly coughing (if it irritated the throat when swallowed)

diarrhea, possibly bloody.

You can monitor the stools but it's not likely you'll see the staple since it's so small. Deb

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you

My pleasure; glad that I could help.

Take care, Deb

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Deb