Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dogs calcium level is 3.16 no apparent symptoms should I

My dogs calcium level is 3.16 no apparent symptoms should I be concerned?

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. Just ignore it. If the calcium is elevated, it is always a good idea to retest it on a fresh sample or even run an ionized calcium. Fortunately, the most common cause of elevated calcium levels is lab error, so that may not be correct. Make sure that they corrected it for the albumin level as well. It can give false readings, depending on what the albumin level is. Ionized calcium is not dependent on albumin (because it is not protein bound and represents the calcium that the body can actually use). It just requires a little more stringent handling techniques and sending it off to the lab. Next to lab error, cancer is definitely the next biggest cause of elevated calcium in dogs. I recently found very high values in a dog that was just in to get blood work to be put on pain medications chronically. No real signs of cancer, but it was there. I wouldn't wait a whole month. I would get it rechecked as soon as you can. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your response when is high too high is 3.11 very high

You are very welcome. That calcium value is measured in mmol/L. In the US, we usually measure it as mg/dl, so I need to see how those values relate to each other. I do know that 3.11 is high in mmol/L, but I am not sure how that relates to it being high in mg/dl. Let me do a couple calculations.

Yes, that is high. It is not dangerously high, but it is high. That equals 12.46 mg/dl, which is a value we definitely do not want to ignore. It depends a lot on what the phosphorus value is as well. If they are both high enough, it can cause mineralization of the tissues. Let me know if you know that value. Hope this helps.

Hi Debbie,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John

Hello. I was just following up to see how Bell is doing and to see if you have further questions.