Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 75# dog ate one hand warmer packet. i found a lot of

Customer Question

My 75# ***** ate one hand warmer packet. i found a lot of debris on the carpet, so i don't imagine he injested much but he is very restless and panting, when both of us should be sleepjng...
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Tucker, 10 months, lab
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Tucker?
Customer: Nope....
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long ago did he have this?

What brand? Did it have iron in it?

Any retching, gagging, lip licking, drooling, or vomiting?

Are his gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any tensing,tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
At the time of writing, it had been about 7hrs. He is usually easily ready for bed, and while he went to bed per usual, he woke up around midnight panting heavily and restless. He wouldn't stay in one place for very long etc. Shortly after writing, my husband took him into the LR, so i could sleep.... and seemingly all was fine. This morning he appeared normal....
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Hello again,

Thank goodness I am glad to hear that he has settled.

Our main worries with these warmers is the iron salts can be toxic for dogs. In small doses, which sounds like what we had here, it can upset the gut and that likely was the root of his discomfort last night. Of course, we have to be careful since high doses it can cause liver issues. So, if he is well now then we'd just want to keep an eye that he stays settled, has no GI upset from this point nor any yellowing of his gums/skin/or sclera of the eye. Any of those signs and we'd want to have him checked and bloods tested to make sure his liver is working as it should.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.