Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

He is 13 years old and always been scared of other dogs. We

He is 13 years old and always been scared of other dogs. We recently got a new Shih Tzu, who only wants to play, but my older one wants nothing to do with him.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Domino is my 13 year old and Malibu is the pup.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Domino?
Customer: He has never played with other dogs because he is just scared of them.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

How long have you had the new puppy?

Is the puppy crate trained?

Do they go for walks together?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Sorry it took so long, they had a problem with payment.
1. Over 1 month.
2. Yes he is crate trained.
3. We have tried, but the puppy loves my older dog, but my older one Domino, has always been scared of everything, except people, even though he is pampered and not a rescue. He seems to be getting better with puppy, but he doesn't like when the puppy tries to kiss him or goes to his face or chases him from behind.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Is there a way to help my older one be not so afraid and relax. I bought them a calming collar, spray for their beds. They also sleep in the same room, the pup in a cage crate and mine free to walk around in there.

Does Domino ever act aggressive with the puppy?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
He did before, only if he felt cornered he would growl, then if the puppy continued he would snap at him once but not bite him. Now he runs and shakes, but if the puppy is tired, and lays down we can put Domino next to him and they will sleep like that. Also when I separate Domino from the puppy now, it seems like Domino wants to be with him, but when he gets to him he is fine until the puppy tries to play or come arts his face, which he does all the time. Also what's weird is at night if Domino sees the pup who's name is ***** ***** on me or my wife, he wants to be up there and lay near him.

Great. Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

So you've definitely hit on something....the fact that Domino is now starting to warm up to Malibu.

Just like people, dogs do have a period of adjustment when a new dog moves in with them...and in the case of a dog like Domino, who is fearful anyway, that period can take a longer amount of time.

The good news though is that he is starting to warm up to the puppy...and that will likely continue as the puppy matures and gets a little bit calmer...and you're doing everything right at this point...the calming products and making sure that Domino understands that you still love him and that the puppy isn't going anywhere.

A little more time and patience and I think Domino will accept Malibu.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Is there anything else I can do to make Domino feel comfortable with him. I even built a stick and takes their leashes to each end so I could try and walk them together but keep a foot and a half pipe between them. I figured as they came more comfortable I would make it smaller. Didn't work. They would turn sideways and tangle. But should I try to take them together.

I definitely think you should walk them together....walking is the fastest way to solidify a pack, so taking them out together may help Domino become more relaxed.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok thank you.

You are very welcome!!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
This is them. How do I rate you so you can get paid. Hope the picture came out.

So cute!!! And there should be a place to rate or accept the answer on your end.