Chelsea Pulter
Chelsea Pulter, Veterinarian
Experience:  associate veterinarian at Banfield
95952882

He is 12 years old, and seems to have rapid breathing and

He is 12 years old, and seems to have rapid breathing and trys to cough something up every few minutes
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Buddy
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Buddy?
Customer: Nope I was just sitting here and noticed it. He has little rapid breath and trys to cough something up every few minutes

Hi I am Dr. Pulter. Please give me a minute to type a reply.

Coughing in dogs can be of varying origins. It can be from the lungs and airways or secondary to some disease of the heart. When we think about the airways we worry about foreign material being breathed in, infections, parasites, and cancers, among others. There is not a way to tell what has caused the cough without examining the patient and some coughs are more life threatening than others. Has Buddy had any previous illnesses with his heart that I need to know about?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have only had him 6 months none that I am aware of

Infections are more likely when dogs are active in the community (i.e dog parks, boarding, grooming), other causes are likely when you are examining an older patient. Right now make sure that Buddy has pink gums. If they are discolored at all, please seek immediate veterinary attention. Seek veterinary attention tonight if you are worried about what is going on with him. I hope this helps. I am sorry I am unable to provide any treatment options or dosages in this modality due to not having an exam on your pet.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Chelsea Pulter
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
He is doing much better. Wen I woke up the next morning he was perfectly fine. I noticed lately he love to lick EVERYTHING! So I am wondering if he got something stuck in his throat or something