Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian
49838867

We have a 5 year old labradoodle. She starting throwing up

Customer Question

We have a 5 year old labradoodle. She starting throwing up Thursday night. It continued Friday, stopped Friday night, came back last night. She has not been eating much, is wheezing and lethargic. She appears to have a mild temp based on her nose being warm.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: I did give her pepto bismal on Friday evening which seemed to help. She has been eating ice to stay hydrated and has eaten some applesauce but not much else
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 7 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you. We do have another 5 year old Labradoodle and he is fine. No changes in food...
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Any thoughts? Should we take her to our Vet?
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 7 months ago.

I am sorry to hear that your pup has been vomiting intermittently since Thursday, is eating poorly, and is lethargic and wheezing.

Most dogs will feel warm to us even without a fever, because they naturally are 2-3 degrees warmer than we are. Their normal body temperature is 100F to 102.5F. I recommend that you check her temperature rectally with a thermometer.

In most cases vomiting is triggered by eating something they should not, too much table food, too many treats or something they find outdoors.

More serious causes of vomiting include toxin ingestions, viral or bacterial infections, a dietary allergy or sensitivity, inflammatory bowel disease, internal organ failure (kidney or liver disease), or a full or partial gastrointestinal obstruction. An abdominal mass is also a possible cause. Addison's disease or hypoadrenocorticism can also lead to vomiting, lethargy weakness and is more commonly seen in young female dogs, particularly some breeds including Standard Poodles.

Because she has been vomiting for several days ideally she would see a veterinarian now.

I am also concerned about her wheezing as that can indicate she may have aspirated some of her vomit.

If an immediate veterinary visit isn't possible for whatever reason there are some things we can try at home, but if she's not improving quickly she should see a veterinarian for an examination, some diagnostic testing, intravenous fluids and injectable medication to settle her stomach.

To try and settle her stomach you can give either:

1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one 20mg tablet per 40 to 80 pounds of body weight every 24 hours

These are acid reducers and may help settle her stomach and get him feeling better and hopefully get her appetite back. They can be used for several days if necessary.

I would pick up all food for now and water for a couple hours to allow her stomach to settle after the acid reducers.

In a couple hours when you give her water make sure it is in small amounts only. If she drinks too much too quickly that can lead to vomiting. You can also offer ice cubes to lick. To get some electrolytes in you can offer her a 50:50 mix of pedialyte and water.

If there is no vomiting for 12 hours offer a bland diet of 1/3 boiled, minced, white skinless chicken or boiled, lean hamburger and 2/3 boiled, white rice mixed with some low salt chicken or beef broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow. If she refuses that you can offer a little meat baby food. If she refuses both then she needs veterinary care.

But if things go well and she does eat and doesn't vomit feed her the bland diet for 2 to 3 days then slowly start to mix back in her regular food, a little more at each meal. It should take about 5 to 7 days to slowly convert her back to her regular diet.

If she continues to vomit even with the acid reducers, runs a fever (more than 103F rectally), or has a lower then normal temperature (less then 99F), has a tense painful belly or if she refuses to eat she should see a veterinarian for an examination, diagnostics, injectable anti-nausea drugs intravenous fluids and supportive care.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
thank you
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 7 months ago.

You are very welcome, best of luck with your girl.