Drhollowayvet
Drhollowayvet,
Experience:  Relief Veterinarian at Aloha Animal Hospital
92209471

My dog is a 16 year old silky terrier. he was always finicky

Customer Question

my dog is a 16 year old silky terrier. he was always finicky about what he ate. about the last 2 months he started not eating very much at all. I started letting him eat table food just to get him to eat because he really didn't have many teeth left to chew with. then the last 2 wks. he refused to eat. he went from 10.5 lbs to now 3lbs. the last 2 days I noticed droplets of blood from his nose & when I wiped his mouth blood was on his hair. my husband says it's too late for a vet. that we would be looking at a $500 bill & we are both on disability. I just don't know what to do? I am sitting here crying!!!
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your silky terrier will be able to digest that. What is the silky terrier's name?
Customer: Buster
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Buster?
Customer: he has a strong healthy heart or he wouldn't have lasted this long but my concern is he stopped eating so long ago & that's when he started losing the weight. would he have started internal bleeding then?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 9 months ago.

Hello my name is***** but you can call me Dr. H, and I am a licensed veterinarian.

I am so sorry to hear that your poor pet Buster is showing very serious signs of illness. Random bleeding from the nose, gradual weight loss and lack of appetite all unfortunately point to possible cancer or a serious fungal infection.

I doubt he was bleeding internally in the beginning, or honestly he would not have lasted this long without medical attention. I do believe you have some things to consider at this time. Humane euthanasia may be what is best for poor Buster. : (

Has he seen a vet since he has gotten sick?

- Dr. H

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Drhollowayvet