How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Scott Nimmo Your Own Question
Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 20268
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr Scott Nimmo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mini dachshund ate a raisinete in the morning and she

Customer Question

My mini dachshund ate a raisinete in the morning and she looked fine during the day but now she appears tired. How many raisinetes warrant a visit to the emergency room?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dachshund will be able to digest that. What is the dachshund's name and age?
Customer: Schatzi 7
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Schatzi?
Customer: No she is a very healthy dog
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 6 months ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank yiu
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sorry for being impatient
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 6 months ago.

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Please don't be concerned about just one raisin, this is well below any toxic level even for a small dog.

2. While raisins are in fact a significant toxin to dogs, the lowest documented raisin dose in the dog I can find is 0.1 oz per kg of the dogs body weight. Lets say your dog weighs 8 kg , { she may well weigh more } so her toxic dose would be 0.8 ounces of raisins and there are on average around 25 raisins per ounce. So you can see no cause for concern with just one, we might worry if she ate twenty. But less than that is no worry.

3. Of course this product is chocolate coated and chocolate can also be toxic to dogs but the amounts involve din your dog's case are very small so again no cause for concern.

4. There are no special measure you need take in this sort of situation other than just keeping an eye on your dog. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you so much
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 6 months ago.

No problem, very glad to have advised you ...

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 6 months ago.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Schatzi is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Raisinete issue ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Related Dog Questions