Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have owned, bred and shown dogs for over 40 years.
60411192

My dog has a sore on his upper lip. It looks like a scab has

My dog has a sore on his upper lip. It looks like a scab has formed and there appears to be a small on on the opposite side of his upper lip also.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: RAIDER and 2 months old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about RAIDER?
Customer: He has his first dog training class tomorrow and will be around other puppies and want to make sure it ok to take him

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern abut Raider.

1. Do you think you could send me a picture of his lip? The following link walks you through the process:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert

2. Is he eating and drinking just fine?

Thanks, Deb

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
he is eating and drinking just fine. Just started him in a new dog food last Thursday.

That's good to hear.

Is it possible to post a picture, do you think? I may not absolutely need it to respond back to you but it might be helpful. Deb

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Going to take picture now

OK

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
If you need a better one let me know

That's fine:) Please give me a few minutes to type back a response for you. Deb

This lesion doesn't look like anything contagious so it should be fine to take him to training class.

It looks as if he was bit or injured in some way and is healing. Unless you know that he was playing rough with another dog, then we may never really know how this happened.

I'd gently clean it several times a day with dilute over the counter Betadine or Iodine (to the color of weak tea) and then after it drys, apply just a small amount of antibiotic ointment such as Neosporin to it. He may try to lick it off, given its location, but just do the best you can.

I hope this helps and that you have fun at class:) Deb

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you. His teeth are really sharp in the general area where scab is on both sides. That makes sense he could have bitten his lip due to teething and biting on his dog bones

You're more than welcome.

Your explanation does make a lot of sense given the location of this lesion. And, puppy teeth are certainly wicked sharp!

Deb

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Deb