How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Deb Your Own Question
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 10164
Experience:  I have owned, bred and shown dogs for over 40 years.
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Deb is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog picked up a chlorine or chemical tablet from round

Customer Question

My dog picked up a chlorine or chemical tablet from round the back of the hot tub at the holiday house we are staying in
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Opie and he's 5 months
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Opie?
Customer: No
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 6 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb. I recently came online and see that your question hasn't been answered. I'm sorry for the delay but if you still need assistance with Opie, I'd like to help if I can.

Did he actually ingest or eat any of the tablet or it was only in his mouth.

How long ago was this.

And, how is he behaving? Any drooling or vomiting?

Thanks, Deb

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi he just picked it up, walked with it for a few steps then dropped it. He didn't chew any of it, but I was just worried that with it already being wet and in his mouth some of it may have been ingested into his digestive system.This was approximately an hour to an hour and 30 minutes ago. He is still acting himself, very excited and restless as we are in a setting.
I read a similar answer on here and it said to give him a small amount of milk. I gave Opie a few licks of semi skimmed milk in a saucer to stop any potential burning.Is there anything else I should do? Or any more information you can give me?
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 6 months ago.

Thanks for the answers to my questions. Please give me a few minutes to type back a response for you. Thanks for your patience. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 6 months ago.

It sounds as if his exposure was fairly limited which is good. I actually would have been surprised if he started to chew on it since these products aren't very tasty.

I'm happy to reassure you that in most cases, ingestion or exposure to these sorts of products will not be toxic....they can be irritants but nothing more. They might cause some gastric distress (vomiting or possibly diarrhea) but other than that, they aren't particularly harmful.

And, since so much time has passed and he's not drooling or vomiting, he's not likely to start.

The products which might cause significant damage would be those which have the word "danger"versus "caution" on the label. Drano or Clorox Ultra are two examples. If the label says caution, that means ingestion may cause mild gastrointestinal issues; however, if it says danger, it means it could corrode through your esophagus.

More than likely the label isn't attached to the product but it's not likely that it would have "danger" on the label anyway.

He should be just fine with no additional action necessary on your part.

I hope this helps to provide peace of mind. Deb

Related Dog Questions