Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My female 10 year old american staff woke up tueday with not

Customer Question

hi my female 10 year old american staff woke up tueday with not being able to walk much, seems to be loss of strength to her hind legs, arched back like sees walking on tip toes.. and loss of appetite
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: yes I've taken her to the vet tuesday afternoon & he suggested a vestibular related illness but it hasn't cleared
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Mase
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mase?
Customer: she seems to have lost strength in her hind legs.. not eating much, struggling to stand from a sitting position & also vice versa.. she has become aware something is not right
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.

I'm sorry for the long wait.

It sounds like you are seeing a true neurologic disease. This is typically due to something pressing on the spinal cord and nerve roots. This could be a disc herniation, a tumor, a cyst, a stroke or even an infection like meningitis.

The only way to definitively diagnose the problem, is with an MRI of the spine. Given her age and breed, I would look into a consultation with a veterinary neurologist. They have the equipment to diagnose and then treat. Treatment could be medical if there is still good neurologic function to the back legs. It could also be surgical to remove a compressive disc that is hitting the spinal cord.

Here is a nice write up on disc disease in dogs:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=3223

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?