Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My dog has hard poop, does not scoot and yet his anal gland

Customer Question

my dog has hard poop, does not scoot and yet his anal gland the vet said was pasty. I asked them to check on a whim when we went in for a vaccination he eats high quality food so how do I know when his gland needs extracting if he shows no typical symptoms
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: his name is ***** ***** he is almost 5 the first time he had his anal gland extracte was last march and then again a few days ago. we've never had any issues until now
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Aristotle?
Customer: He is a fussy eater and anxious in cars - I don't know if either of those may have an impact on the anal gland/sac secretion.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 6 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question about Aristotle. The typical signs of a dog needing their anal glands expressed is when they start to scoot or lick their back side. Typically if a dog isn't showing these signs, then they aren't needing their anal glands expressed. My own dog is 14 years old and I've never had to express hers. Just because they expressed them and the material was pasty doesn't mean it wasn't being expressed with her normal defecations and such.