Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

New puppy seems to have chewed rhododendron leaves but we

Customer Question

hi. new puppy seems to have chewed rhododendron leaves but we don't think she ate them. should we see a vet?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the puppy will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: molly
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about molly?
Customer: no. she was checked yesterday
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long ago did she get into these?

How is she just now?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Hi again,

I have not heard back from you about Molly but wanted to leave my thoughts for her situation.

Now the trouble with rhododendron is that it can be quite toxic for animals. Though if she just chewed the leaves, then we'd only likely see mild signs (ie drooling, vomiting, diarrhea) and none of the more harmful effects of the plant.

With this in mind and considering our time frame we have a few options. We can just consider flushing her mouth with cool water to remove sap from the leaves and use supportive care for GI upset as needed. Of course, if you think she did eat some, then we could also consider inducing vomiting or administering activated charcoal (both I am happy to discuss) to counter any risk further.

Otherwise, as to supportive care to offset any potential GI upset, you can start her on an easily digestible diet. Examples of this are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. And if she were to have runny stools, canned pumpkin and canine probiotics (ie Fortiflora, Benebac) can be added to this.

Further to this, if we see any nausea, we can also treat with an antacid. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. Ones we can use here include Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you use, we'd give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption and of course double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Overall, it does depend on just what she had as to how to approach this best for her. Though if you are sure she only chewed them, we can use the above to counter that risk and reduce any signs from this.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you.!: )