Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My dog ate moldy dry dog food that had been left out while

Customer Question
we were away for a...
My dog ate moldy dry dog food that had been left out while we were away for a week. Returned on a red eye this morning. He is an 8lb chihuahua. He seems down and extra sleepy. Should I just see how he progresses through the night or take him to ER?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Barney
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Barney?
Customer: He had an immune mediated disease about 4 years ago that had him in the icU for three weeks. He fully recovered and does not take any medication.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/4/2017
Dog Specialist: DrBridget, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
DrBridget
DrBridget, Veterinarian

Hi! My name is***** am a small animal veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Barney is not feeling well, that must be especially to see him like this after traveling home late at night. I'm currently typing up my reply. This may take a few minutes. while I work on this could you please tell me if there was anyone at home who may have noticed if Barney had any other problems while you were away?

Ultimately given the history of eating food that had gone bad and a previous episode of immune mediated disease I do think that it would be best for Barney to be evaluated at the ER, it is the safest way to ensure that he is stable. Hopefully they confirm that he is and he could come home with you before further treatment tomorrow. The reason I am concerned is that immune mediated conditions can cause deterioration, sometimes significantly, and if this is the case it is best to start treatment ASAP.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet. Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!

DrBridget
DrBridget
DrBridget, Veterinarian