Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 6 1/2 pound, diabetic Chihuahua ate about 1 ounce of

Customer Question

my 6 1/2 pound, diabetic Chihuahua ate about 1 ounce of cheap milk chocolate, ( he opened up a bag of "chocolate coins" and peeled off the aluminum covers). He is not agitated or panting, his heart is beating steadily, voided and pooped normally. This happened sometime 2-3 hours ago. I'm taking him to the vet first thing in the morning, is there anything else I can watch for or I should do?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hello & my apologies that my colleagues could not aid you while I was away.

Still, I wanted to touch based about Smoky.

I have checked the dose he has had and it only carries a mild risk. Therefore, we'd only expect GI upset (ie vomiting, diarrhea) from this dose. So, we can breathe a wee sigh of relief that this isn't a severe toxicity. And while we could use OTC activated charcoal (1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs) up to 8 hours post ingestion, we can also just use supportive care to counter those gut upset signs. For that you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. Further to this, we can also treat with an antacid. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. Ones we can use here include Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you use, we'd give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption and of course double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Of course, if he is too nauseous to keep that down, his vet can start injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- fluids as needed to just nip this in the bud for Smoky.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Smoky. How is everything going?

Dr. B.