Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

2 nights ago my 3 yr old husky started shivering and

Customer Question

2 nights ago my 3 yr old husky started shivering and drooling a little. I walked him and it stopped so I thought it was just an upset tummy. It happened again tonight. What are possible causes for this behavior? I've been reading about epilepsy but these aren't seizures
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Asahi
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Asahi?
Customer: He went to the vet last week for a few boosters and blood work and everything came back OK and clean
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 6 months ago.

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you. There are a couple of things that can cause what you are seeing. Drooling can be due to nausea, or a tooth or gum issue. Shaking can be from fear or pain.

I would check his mouth for tooth or gum discoloration (yellow, black, brown, red) and feel around for sores. If you notice this , it may be a good idea to have the teeth checked specifically by your Vet. Teeth can also fracture below the gum line which can cause pain and you can't actually see that, you may need an x ray to see that.

There are seizures that are not as violent as Grand Mal, but these seizures alter the dog's behavior. Often times you might see some staring off, some air licking, lip smacking, acting scared and either distant or over clingy to the owner, or snapping at imaginary bugs. Just so you know for future reference.

I think you are dealing with a pain or nausea issue. It could be back pain ( a disc along the spine) , a tooth issue, or a stomach issue such as pancreatitis.

Your best bet if it happens again is to bring him in for an exam for these specific symptoms. Likely when you last brought him in it was for overall vitals and general exam.