Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

He's rubbing his ears on the floor & hes tremb. Trembling,

Customer Question

He's rubbing his ears on the floor & hes tremb
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Trembling, like shivering on and off
JA: How old is Trembling?
Customer: Future, almost 3
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Trembling?
Customer: No , his names future . & he vomited 2 days ago
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he been showing signs?

Are the ears inflamed/red? Any odor or discharge?

Any chance he got something caught in the ear (ie foxtail, grass, seeds, etc)?

Can he eat and drink normally? Any changes to items caught in his mouth?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Nothing coming out of his mouth , eating and drinking regularly, pretty much nothings changed about him but this rubbing his ears on the floor all day & when he was asleep the on and off trembling feeling
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I was thinking an ear infection because I can visibly see anything in his ear . I was going to get some doggy ear drops
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Thank you,

Now given Future's current signs, this sounds like we do have an ear irritation. Infections can arise at any time or we can see these signs related to allergies. And I would note that while his trembling is a very visible sign, it just tends to be a side effect and non-specific sign that they feel unwell. So, it’s the rubbing of the ears that is a sign that is more suggestive of the problem at hand.

With this in mind, we would want to check his ears and start supportive care. Since you won't likely have an otoscope and thus cannot check that his ear drum is intact, we'd not want to rush to get doggy ear drops. Most can actually cause harm if that ear drum is compromised. Instead, you can flush the ears with luke warm saline/ salt water (1tbsp salt to a pint warm water; though I find the OTC saline/plain contact lens solution bottles very useful for administering this into the ears). This will just reduce inflammation, has some antibacterial effect, and can help get any foreign bodies out of the canal. It can be used as needed to settle this for him and is safe to use here.

As well, since these irritations can often be triggered by an underlying allergy, you can also consider an antihistamine at this stage. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl). A low dose (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first.

Overall, his signs suggest that we have an ingoing irritation possibly infection in the ear canal. So, we can use the above just now to try to soothe this for him.Of course, if this is causing severe irritation or if this doesn't settle with the above; then we'd want to have this checked by your vet to ensure we remove anything caught and so they can dispense systemic/oral treatment if needed to get him comfortable.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.