Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

I have a half dalmatian half Australian Shepard about 8 or 9

Customer Question
Hello, I have a half...
Hello, I have a half dalmatian half Australian Shepard about 8 or 9 years old...inside dog. For about a year he screams when he defecates and tends to hold it in as long as possible to keep from it. His analysis glad are fine. We've had xrays. His but hole itself always looks rather infected and red. Vets have tried creams, anitibiotics, etc. Nothing seems to help. No blood in stool either. He screams like you think he's dying. We want to help he's happy and healthy otherwise.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dalmatian?
Customer: A vet had to pull a bunch of toilet paper put of his but one time. I think it stretched his but hole and it never healed. Oh and about 3 years ago he got into a bunch of xylitol, they flushed his system for two days. And his liver showed no damage and xrays show nothing else in there, but I thought I could include that.
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog
1/3/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. Chances are that he has either irritable bowel syndrome or a food allergy (yes they can develop an allergy to something they have been eating their entire life). I hope that your vet has ran some blood work and done a thorough rectal exam to make sure there are no other potential problems. If he is not neutered, I would check for prostate problems. Even if he is neutered, prostate cancer is possible. I would either add more fiber to his diet (tablespoon of either Metamucil or pure canned pumpkin to each meal) or talk to your vet about starting either a prescription hypoallergenic or high fiber/gastrointestinal diet. It may help to put him on a course of metronidazole for a couple weeks as well. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Hello. I was just following up to see how your Dalmatian/Shepard mix is doing and to see if you have further questions.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian