Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My 16 year old pit ate some paper towels ( no idea how much

Customer Question
My 16 year old pit...
My 16 year old pit bull ate some paper towels ( no idea how much just know cuz he threw up a wad) now he's constipated, throwing up and will not eat
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Snoop
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Snoop?
Customer: Besides he's really old starting to lose control of his hind legs
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog
1/3/2017
Dog Specialist: DrBridget, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
DrBridget
DrBridget, Veterinarian

Hello! My name is***** and I am a small animal veterinarian. I am reviewing your question to formulate an answer. Do you mind answering a few more questions so I can get a better history on Snoop?

Do you know when snoop may have eaten the paper towels? Were these likely fresh paper towels or were they previously used to clean up something - just trying to get an idea if he ingested something in addition to the towels. When did Snoop start vomiting and how long has it been since he last ate? Has Snoop had any previous medical issues besides problems with his hind legs? Has the trouble with his legs caused him to have any problem urinating or defecating in the past? Is there any chance that Snoop may have eaten anything else e.g. other foreign material, toxins, human food?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the towels were used to clean up something in the kitchen, I don't know what. Also he has recently gotten over a urinary track infection, drinking lots of water. Taking medication to control the excessive water intake. Also med for thyroid, and condroitin
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Clean up was more than likely food

Thank you for that information. When did he start drinking lots of water? Do you know when he ate the paper towels? Has he had any recent blood or urine tests to look at the cause of urinary tract infection and the excessive water intake or measure his thyroid level?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He's been taking the meds for probly 2 months, has improved sone on the water intakevery. All this stuff started yesterday, he started throwing up and then around 4 am he threw up a LG wad of paper towels

Thanks for the extra information...I will type up my response now, it will take me a few minutes.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Tested urinary track infection is gone, he's had the thyroid 4 at least a year

It is possible that Snoop's symptoms may be related to some of his previous health concerns but it could also be unrelated in response to eating the paper towels.

When a dog ingests foreign material like paper towels it may become stuck causing an obstruction - the symptoms that you may see when this happens include vomiting, inappetence and either diarrhea or lack of stool. It is important that Snoop be seen by your local vet to determine if there are still paper towels stuck inside causing an obstruction. The vet will be able to tell by x-rays or ultrasound. Sometimes the vet may even be able to get an idea if they could be stuck by palpating Snoop's belly.

Another way the towels can cause this problem is if the material they cleaned up have caused an issue for example if the paper towels had rich food on them that can cause pancreatitis (this is diagnosed by blood test or ultrasound). Toxins may even be an issue if the towels were used to clean up a toxic material, so best to check will the household what was on the paper towels before going to see the local vet.

It is possible that these symptoms may be related to Snoops underlying problems (increased urination, hindleg trouble, thyroid) conditions associated with these problems include diabetes, pancreatitis, and nerve damage that can effect defecation.

So to wrap this all up I suggest that you take Snoop to a local vet ASAP to be examined to see if there are any paper towels causing an obstruction. At the same time I suggest that you discuss ruling out diabetes and pancreatitis by performing blood tests and consider rechecking his thyroid level.

I realize that this all seems like a lot especially when Snoop is not doing well but I do suggest he be examined ASAP. The sooner the problem can be pin pointed by tests the better Snoop will respond to treatment and the lower the cost - if further time causes deterioration such as dehydration the more treatment he will need.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How do i rate you

Hmmm good question! I do not see the same screen that you do, but there should be a button where you can "accept answer" or a pop up may appear requesting a rating. If you still have trouble let me know and I will contact the site to find out how

Ok I found out some info on rating....

Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

DrBridget
DrBridget
DrBridget
DrBridget, Veterinarian