Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Our 4 YO bulldog has had a red, somewhat inflamed anus for

Customer Question

Our 4 YO bulldog has had a red, somewhat inflamed anus for several days. We usually wipe her down with Tucks medicated pads after each potty. Today, we noticed some blood (red/fresh) coming out of her anus. Should we be worried as of yet? Stoll has been firm, but she does has a hx of clogged anal glands.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How much blood did you see? A spoonful, more or less?

Has she been straining to pass stool?

Any pain, swelling or sores around her rectum?

Any scooting or dragging of her bottom on the ground?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Her rectum has been slightly red the last few days. There is just a little bit of blood... just a trickle. Due to chronic UTIs, we wipe her vulva and then anus after each potty with a Tucks medicated pad. She has been scooting a little bit the past few days. No straining during BM. No loose stools. We can't tell if there is a small sore or if she may have ruptured her anal gland, maybe?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Thank you,

Now to see fresh blood from the rectum not while passing stool (else that would suggest colitis) does raise concerns that Jezzy's anal glands may be inflamed or infected. So, we need to tread with care and if there is a sore then it is quite possible that we have a rupture.

With this all in mind, if she is sore with this, then we are best having her glans expressed by her vet. That will reduce the discomfort but if the material expressed was infected, then they can also dispense oral antibiotics +/- anti-inflammatories to treat this from the inside out.

Otherwise, in the meantime since we have an inflamed anus and sore, we can start topical care. Further to what you are usually doing, you can also start cleansing this area 2-3 times daily with a mild antiseptic (ie dilute betadine, chlorohexidine, or salt water). Afterwards, pat the area dry and apply an OTC antibiotic cream +/- hydrocortisone cream. The former can help keep infection away and the latter can reduce inflammation and itchiness. As well, since we need to prevent self-trauma, after all this we can put boxer short (turned backwards for a tail hole) on Jezzy as a breathable cover to protect this.

Overall, I'm concerned that Jezzy anal glands are at the root of her signs. So, we'd want to use the above just now to soothe her inflamed skin but if her gland are sore for her then we'd want them expressed and systemic/oral treatment started if needed to get her settled as quickly as we can.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )