Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Our dog has been diagnosed with arthritis in her knee which

Customer Question

Our dog has been diagnosed with arthritis in her knee which causes occasional limping. Recently it look like she isn't putting much weight on it and it seems to be shaking slightly.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Yes, no visable wound or nail issues either.
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Can we give the dog an over the counter anti inflamitory?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: She is 7 and had an ultrasound to check her kidneys because she had higher lelvels of calcium in her blood.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Chloe
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has she been struggling with her knee?

Did her vet note any reduced kidney function when those bloods were checked?

Is she on any medications currently?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Her knee started bothering her about 8 months ago.
Nothing was noted about her kidney function they also checked for tumors and she has several small lipomas none of which are near her leg.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I began giving her glucosamine with controidan to help with her arthritis.
She has had reoccurring ear infections which we treat with otomax.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Thank you,

Now if she has a chronic discomfort with her knee based arthritis, then we'd want to be addressing this for her. In regards ***** ***** so at home, we do have a few options we can try with Chloe.

To start, I am glad to see that you do have her on OTC glucosamine/chondroitin but make sure she is at least on 300mg glucosamine + 50mg chondroitin a day per 10 pounds of body weight daily. Otherwise, further to that, the natural anti-inflammatory properties of Omega 3 + 6 (EPA + DHA) fish oils can be helpful in soothing sore joints. This too can be purchased over the counter at vets, pet stores, and health food stores. If you did want to try this for her, we tend to give a dose equal to 20mg per pound of their body weight. So, this would be another supportive measure you could consider for her. As well, Duralactin (More Info HERE) can be of benefit in these situations.

Finally, as long as we are sure her kidneys and fine and she has no health issues, you can give her a low dose of buffered Aspirin (More Info/Dose HERE @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/acetylsalicylic-acid-aspirin) once to twice daily after food. Of course, if her signs linger despite that, then we'd want a check with her vet to have a strong dog safe non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) like Metacam, Rimadyl, and Previcox to keep her comfortable here.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
She is a 90 lb lab/chow/ mix so 1800 mg of glucosamine?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hi again,

If she is 90lbs, that is 2.7 grams (2,700mg) daily we'd use here. If you are giving much less, you can slowly wean her dose up and its fine to offer less as long as she is responding to that lower dose.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Where can I purchase Duralactin?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hi again,

Most vets can order it in for you, but sites like Amazon carry it as well.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.