Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a 6yr old chihuahua who whimpers when i touch is back

Customer Question

i have a 6yr old chihuahua who whimpers when i touch is back left leg. He walks ok but won't go up the stairs or jump on the futon, sofa, etc. he was shivering but i assumed he was scared or cold... he is laying on a heating pad right now and seems to be falling asleep. im not sure if i should take him to the animal hospital or wait and take him to the vet. he is fine other wise
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: he just got done taking antibiotic last week for a bladder infection
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he had these signs?

Are there are wounds, sores, or swellings on the leg, foot, or between the pads?

Where is he tender when you feel the leg?

When you flex or extend the joints?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
he has only had these signs today. They have gotten worse in the last few hours. Earlier today I thought he might have been constipated, but I gave him some baby carrots and he hasn't had any issue going to the bathroom. He doesn't have an sores or wounds, no swelling on the leg, foot or between the pads. He lets me touch all of his paws with now issues. He whimper when i touch what i assume is his hip. He does't seem to want to move it much, and is moving slow to re-position himself when laying down. He didn't fall, he wasn't hit by anything. Nothing usual, the highest point he jumps from is off the sofa which is maybe 2ft including the cushions. He is laying on a heating pad and seems to be trying to fall asleep.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Thank you,

Now I have to say that his refusal to use stairs or jump won't be due to fear. Its actually a pain sign in dogs with limb, back,or belly pain. The same goes for his shivering (a non-specific sign that means he feels unwell). So, even if he is putting on brave face when walking and didn't reach when handled, he sounds to be a sore dog. And if it was at the hip he reacted, then we may have an injury here that you didn't see happen.

In this case, if he is able to settle and rest, you can let him do so and not rush him in. You can even use his heating pad on the sore hip to see if we can reduce any discomfort from bruising or muscle strain. Of course, if you think he is getting worse, has paling gums, or find he has any belly pain; then we'd want him seen sooner. That way we can have his belly checked for any issues (ie gut blockages, foreign bodies, pancreatitis) but also get him onto dog safe pain relief (ie Metacam, Onsior, Previcox, Rimadyl) to ease his signs and get him settled here.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )