Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog a beagle weighing about 10kg has just eaten a large

Customer Question

My dog a beagle weighing about 10kg has just eaten a large packet of shortbread biscuits. She is panting and her abdomen is distended but she seems fine in herself apart from that
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your beagle will be able to digest that. What is the beagle's name and age?
Customer: Tara and she is 11.5. she will be 12 in May
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tara?
Customer: No she is otherwise a happy healthy girl
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long ago did she eat these?

What grams/ounces was the package?

Any gagging, retching, lip licking, drooling or vomiting?

Can she keep water down?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Any diarrhea?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I am in Australia. She seems much better today. Ttmmy a little distended but no vomiting or diarrhea Thanks very much
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Hi again,

That is good to hear that she is improving after giving herself this food bloat. From here, do make sure you are only giving her small meals for the first 24 hours post ingestion. And when doing so, consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). These will just help reduce gut stress, reduce the risk of diarrhea, and also help is we have any pancreatic inflammation. You can also add fiber (ie canned or boiled pumpkin) +/- OTC canine probiotics (ie Benebac, Fortiflora) to just push the rest of this through and ensure the normal gut bacterial population remains stable.

As well, if you do see any nausea, you can treat with Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac) as needed. ( 20 minutes before food to allow absorption and up to every 12 hours). Of course, double check with your vet before use if Tara has any known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you.!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.
Hi Claire,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.