How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Michael Salkin Your Own Question
Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 30398
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Michael Salkin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A 20 pound dog just swallowed one lamictal, Bandit and 5

Customer Question

A 20 pound dog just swallowed one lamictal
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bandit and 5 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bandit?
Customer: Otherwise a healthy dog
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 9 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 9 months ago.

This drug is quite toxic to dogs. Please induce emesis with 20 mL (one measuring teaspoon + one measuring tablespoon) of 3% hydrogen peroxide dosed at 5 mL(maximum dose of 45 mL) by means of a small poultry baster placed between Bandit's cheek teeth and teeth. He should vomit within 15 minutes. If not, repeat the same dose. Hydrogen peroxide isn’t always effective in inducing emesis. Please give me a progress report when appropriate to do so.

If you prefer, you can bring Bandit to a vet who can more reliably induce emesis with an injection of apomorphine.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 9 months ago.

Here's a quick review of treatment and summary of lomatrigine toxicity in dogs: http://veterinarymedicine.dvm360.com/lamotrigine-toxicosis-dogs-and-cats?pageID=3

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 9 months ago.

errata: "dosed at 5 mL(maximum dose of 45 mL)..." should have been deleted

Clinical signs of toxicosis most commonly occur within four hours after exposure, though they are sometimes delayed up to 12 hours with the extended-release products. Clinical signs typically last 24 to 48 hours. Signs in dogs, such as lethargy and somnolence, have been observed at exposure doses as low as 1.5 mg/lb. Cardiac signs such as tachycardia are generally not seen until the exposure dose is more than 9.1 mg/lb. Life-threatening cardiovascular signs such as arrhythmias and seizures are generally seen in dogs exposed to more than 18.2 mg/lb of lamotrigine.