Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

There was a fox in the woods, he was not taking any of the

Customer Question

there was a fox in the woods, he was not taking any of the warning signs my dog was giving off this was outside my home it was quite dense with foliage so i could not see exactly what was happening i should have gone right after him but did not see the fox lying there
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: toast, we are not sure of his age, probably around one year and a half
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about toast?
Customer: he got his first rabies vaccine in march 2015
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 7 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

What interaction did the fox have with Toast?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Toast went at him as the fox laid there. He must have been sick or dying or something because he didn't get up to move. We have coyotes in the woods and at first that is what I thought we were dealing with. The fox appeared to be dead - i wrapped him in a towel and put him in a plastic bag - no testing services open for two days.

It's doubtful that Toast has encountered a risky situation here if the fox was dead. However, if you know that foxes are coyotes are a problem on your property you absolutely must keep his rabies vaccine up to date. Not doing so not only puts Toast at risk, but also puts your family at risk if he might acquire rabies. There is a 3 year vaccine available, if you prefer to avoid annual vaccines.

I doubt much can be done with his body if he's been dead this long, even rabies testing they'd like to have happen within 24 hours of death and without the body being frozen. You may find come tomorrow that they suggest disposing of the body instead of testing.