Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

SHE IS A LITTLE MALTESS ALMOST 2 YEARS OLD. SHE ALWAYS HAS

Customer Question

SHE IS A LITTLE MALTESS ALMOST 2 YEARS OLD. SHE ALWAYS HAS GOOD BOWLS MOVEMENTS EVERYDAY, BUT TODAY SHE HASN'T. U CAN TELL SHE DO ESN'T FEEL GOOD, SHE DOES WALK A LITTLE FUNNY IN HER BACK LEGS. BUT NOT ALL THE TIME.I HAVE GIVIN HER A TSP OF PUMKIN AND SOME YOGUT . BUT STILL HAS NOT HAD A BOWEL MOVEMENT.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: I HAVE JUST NOW CHECKED HER FRONT PAW AND SHE JUMP LIKE IT HURT.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: BUFFY
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about BUFFY?
Customer: WELL SHE DOES EAT HER POOP, AND SHE LICKS HER BUTT A LOT.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but I wanted to touch base about Buffy.

Now if she is straining to pass stool and the pumpkin hasn't helped, then there are a few other options we can try. To start, we can give her a bit of cow's milk. This can be helpful at getting things moving along as it should (though it can cause a bit of self-limiting loose stool in non-constipated dogs). As well, cat hairball medication (ie. Catalax, Laxatone, etc) can be used to get things moving. This is available from the vet or the pet shop. It works to lubricate the gut and can facilitate the movement of hard feces out of the rectum. . Alternatively, you can administer a small volume of Miralax (1 tsp per 24 hours), lactulose or mineral oil orally. These can be mixed into her food. If you have to administer via syringe, do take care to avoid aspiration ( since that would cause problems we'd best avoid). And of course, as you do so, do make sure she is getting fluids (ie via water, low salt chicken broth, canned food) since dehydration can make them prone to constipation.

While you are doing this, I would advise that you monitor fecal and urinary output. If you use these but aren't seeing feces in the next 12-24 hours, or she vomits, goes off her food, show belly pain, or worsens, then they should be evaluated by her vet. Severe impactions of feces sometimes won’t respond to our gentle colon cleaning treatments, and those cases can require more aggressive treatment (ie enemas under sedation).

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )