Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian
9138059

Came home this evening and she had vomited in her cage foamy

Customer Question

Came home this evening and she had vomited in her cage foamy stuff. There was also some foul poop smelling substance that I assumed was vomit as it was also a little foamy. it had a little jellied blood in it. she didnt eat dinner but was drinking. just wanted to go outside and when went to let her out was a maroonish puddle on the floor with some goo in it and I know that it came from her rectum. about a year and a half ago she supposedly had HGE but these symptoms arent' exactly the same.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: no, she had not eaten anything yet today. Just a little cereal milk this morning.
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Pepper 3 years she is a chihuahua
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Pepper?
Customer: no
Category: Dog
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 9 months ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your girl Pepper who has vomited tonight as well as having some soft stool with mucus and fresh blood. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next few minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 9 months ago.

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. There are a number of things that could be going on here with Pepper this evening to cause this vomiting and stool with blood, and we need to consider anything from an infectious gastroenteritis, to a toxicity (hopefully there isn't anything your girl could have gotten into), to intestinal worms or even a foreign body obstruction. You will definitely need to continue to keep a close eye on your girl, and if this vomiting continues, then you will need to get her seen by your local ER vet tonight. The nature of her feces are more inline with a large bowel issue (colitis) given what you have seen with the jelly substance (mucus) and fresh blood. This is unlikely to be HGE, however you need to keep a close eye on her stool and for any further blood in it, as it could be the early stages.

For now, make sure Pepper has plenty of fresh water available and encourage her to drink. The biggest concern right now is that she could become dehydrated. If she won't drink or can't keep water down, then you are best to get her seen by your local ER vet tonight where they can start her on some intravenous (IV) fluids. You can with hold her food until the morning now, and from then you can start her on a bland diet of cooked, boneless, skinless chicken breast and boiled white rice. Don't worry about getting her to eat tonight, but definitely encourage her to drink now and over night. If she isn't interested in drinking, then you could try making her up a fresh chicken broth. For this, just boil up some fresh chicken until cooked, scoop off the solids, allow the liquid to cool, then feed her this luke-warm broth.

Over the next few hours, please keep an eye on her mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that your girl doesn't try to bite you):

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she seems to be panting or breathing rapidly throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

If you think Pepper is nauseous right now, you may also want to try her with a little pepcid. The typical dose for this type of situation is 0.25mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily. You can read more about the use of Pepcid in dogs online here: http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid

Best of luck with your girl and hopefully these symptoms settle in the next few hours. As above, if she can't keep water down, or if any of the parameters above don't seem right, then definitely play it safe and get her seen tonight. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 9 months ago.

Hi again,

How did you get on with Pepper last night? Did she improve, or did you get her checked by your local ER vet?

It would be great to get an update when you get a moment.

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 9 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Pet Doc
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 9 months ago.

Hi again,

How is Pepper doing now? Hopefully he is back to normal now?

Dr E