Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian
9138059

I didn't know there was a petcare service. My dog can't

Customer Question

Hello. I didn't know there was a petcare service. My dog can't poop.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Diva, 14, pit bull
JA: How old is Diva?
Customer: 14
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Diva?
Customer: no
Category: Dog
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 9 months ago.

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. If Diva seems otherwise fine and is just a little constipated, then there are a couple of things you can try. The best 'at home' remedy is to pop around a a teaspoon or two of cooking oil on some wet food twice a day for a few days. This helps coat the poop at the terminal colon to help them slide through more easily. If you can source it, Lactulose syrup works perfectly for this situation, however you may need a prescription from your Vet for this. Also make sure she is drinking plenty of water and try feeding her a wet diet only for the next week or two.

If the poop is really quite firm and he is very painful when trying to pass them, then you can purchase a product called "microlax" from your drug store. This is a suppository that needs to be inserted up the bottom, so if you do decide to try this make sure you lubricate the nozzle and insert if very gently into her bottom before squeezing out the contents. This breaks up the poop in the terminal colon and coats it allowing the dog to poop easily within 5 - 10 minutes. If you don't feel comfortable or confident in doing this, then you are better off letting your Vet handle this problem. If Diva is really badly constipated, then she may be at the point where she needs to be sedated for a full enema to clear the poop out completely. You should then feed something high in fiber such as mashed pumpkin ongoing.

Given her age, we also have to consider other possibilities here such as a rectal problem or a mass of some sort, so I would definitely encourage you to follow up on this and have Diva examined by your local vet (including a full rectal exam). Please also ensure she is up to date with her deworming treatments won't you. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.