Ola Barrett
Ola Barrett,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Lake Chatuge Animal Hospital
77721119

My little guy is 11yrs old a chiauahua, found a mass upper

Customer Question

hi, my little guy is 11yrs old a chiauahua, found a mass upper left flank he hind his shoulder he limps occasionally then he still tears around and plays will his 1yr old new sister he also has teeth issues have an app is there anything other than buffered asprin, I haven't given nothing other than vet prescribed you an recomend
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: no his he's been pretty healthy eating well I can tell he's in pain he's really staying in his listing bed right at the foot of mine and he won't let anyone other than me touch his mouth it's his two lower front teeth are loose and he is kind of poking his tongue against them this just happen I tried to take him to day here on the military base but the vet closed and won't return until Monday
Category: Dog
Expert:  Ola Barrett replied 7 months ago.

Hello, I am Dr Ola and I would be happy to address your concerns about your little Chihuahua. I am sorry to hear he isn't feeling well. Given his age, it may be difficult to determine if his pain is isolated to this teeth and/or any underlying arthritis or soft tissue injury from playing with his sister.

I would be careful with the aspirin giving his small size. Over the counter human anti-inflammatory drugs can cause stomach upset and even stomach ulceration if not given careful. Make sure it is buffered aspirin. Also, make sure that dose is appropriate. For example, if he weighs 5 lbs, he should receive 1/3 of a 61 mg baby aspirin with food every 8-12 hours.

The most important aspect of him being comfortable until Monday (when you can see your regular vet) is REST. Keep him in quiet space and don't allow any further play time with his sister with no running, jumping, climbing stairs etc. Simply take him out to use restroom and back to rest. It is likely that he has over-exerted himself that is contributing to this and rest will prevent further injury and make him more comfortable.

As far as his teeth go, I would change him to a soft diet for next couple of days. This can be be either canned food or, if he eats dry food, simply moisten with water for a bit before he eats. Make sure his water temperature is kind of tepid to avoid any hot or cold sensitivity!

Once your veterinarian sees him on Monday, he/she can determine what veterinary anti-inflammatory drugs need to be prescribed for arthritis and/or dental cleaning and extraction of affected teeth. Until them, just let him lay low, even if he protests!

I hope this advice was helpful to you. Please let me know if you need clarification on anything or have other questions about this. Also, please do not forget to rate my answer which I hope you found to be "excellent." You may do this by clicking "rate our conversation" below (Your rating is the only means of compensation I receive for answering your question). Again, let me know if I can help you further:)