Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

Not sure, hes been placed under emergency, the doc treating

Customer Question

Hi not sure
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: hes been placed under emergency
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: the doc treating him said that he has high potassium and can be life threatening ...we are not in the country and this is causing us more anxiety not being there
JA: OK. No obvious pain. Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: its hearsay at the moment - all info we have about him is that hes not able to pass urine and that hes got some renal probelm
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: hes a lab around 4 years and name is Snow
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Snow?
Customer: he was alright when wee left him at the kennel to go out of the country he did have some halitosis - but we dismissed it as soemthing he;d have eaten
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 9 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. This is necessarily conjecture because neither of us are with Snow but it sounds as if he's in post-renal failure due to a blockage in his urethra which is most often due to urinary calculi ("stones"). When a patient can't pass urine, renal failure can ensue within 36 hours and one of the symptoms of anuric (inability to produce urine) renal failure is hyperkalemia (increased serum potassium level).

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.