Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

When he is sleeping he shivers on each inhale in his

Customer Question

When he is sleeping he shivers on each inhale in his shoulder area. When he's awake it stops.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: He doesn't have lethargy
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: First-I didn't say he has lethargy.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 9 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Because this is such as common behavior we don't believe that is constitutes pathology in dogs; instead, it's conjectured to be associated with stage 5 (REM) sleep in dogs - the stage in which dreaming occurs. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Does that apply specifically to trembling ONLY on inhalation?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'm asking for clarification as I know REM encompasses body movements while sleeping but I've had him for 9 Years and dogs for my whole life - I've never noticed this specific shoulder area tremble only when sleeping and only on the inhales - I'm making sure this was understood as The initial person taking my question completely Misduplicated my statement and wrote back something odd and unrelated.

Shaking/shivering/trembling during sleep has been reported to me often but I have no information concerning that behavior being limited to inhalation or exhalation. I searched the literature for this behavior and found nothing more than anecdotal comments about its lack of associated pathology. My interest was peaked by your question and so I also consulted with a specialist veterinary pathologist tonight. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you. Since he is himself when he is awake I will not worry. I'm staying in a colder home-Silly question possibly- and the Thermostat is set to 60 degrees and he's a lab mix, with lab fur. He couldn't be cold could he?

You're welcome. No, 60F should be quite comfortable for a dog with such a coat.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you.

It's my pleasure. You may receive an inappropriate follow-up from the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ah yes. Good to know so I can distinguish between a vet I'm asking advise from and silly (annoying) things. It's good you told me.

I understand. An AI inappropriately discussed "lethargy" above.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Exactly. Didn't inspire trust but I assume that intro personnel is "what it is".

I've put my two cents in to the powers that be.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you again - yeah I also have a hard time hiring for myself an online communication person. it was a jump to "lethargy" - then another leap right to a payment link after my correction. I almost bailed. Likely outsourced to a foreign country. Doesn't help to add a language component. They need better scripts of pat answers to instill trust and then the buy page.

You're preaching to the choir. I would appreciate your letting support know how you feel either at***@******.*** or http://ww2.justanswer.com/help

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I just wrote to them. Off to take the dogs out one last time and then sleep. Best, Kristin

Thank you.

Happy new year!