Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My dog has cushjng, He has Cushings disease. About

Customer Question

My dog has cushjng
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your dog?
Customer: He has Cushings disease. About everything that can go wrong with him has. I am not sure if it is time to put him down.
JA: Where does your dog seem to hurt?
Customer: He has sores on his skin. Barely any hair. A red swollen pad on his foot.
JA: OK. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Just to name a few
JA: How old is a?
Customer: 8
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about a?
Customer: He also has dental abscesses and needs his teeth pulled. One already fell out while he was chewing a bone I think. His breath is horrible. He pees all the time and has accidents. He drinks water excessively.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dwight Alleyne replied 8 months ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Is he currently on any medications?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No medications. Just once monthly trifexis. We did try vetoryl last year but that was getting costly with blood tests and didn't seem to help

Yes Vetoryl can be costly. Based on what you are describing he sounds like he also has some allergy issues. Has he ever been on medication for his allergies? Also regarding his teeth has he every had a dental in the past?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No. I've never been told he has allergies. Just Cushings. He is up to date on his dental exams. The last one he had a couple months ago the vet said he had some abscesses and needs some teeth pulled. He was on antibiotics but those made him sick so we stopped them.

Which antibiotics was he placed on that made him sick? Was a Blood test performed to confirm that he had Cushings disease? Cushing's can cause skin issue but many dogs with Cushing's also have allergies. If he is having skin issue you may want to ask your veterinarian about treating his skin for allergies to see if he can get some relief for his skin. If he is having problems with his teeth a complete dental cleaning extracting the infected teeth that he may have may improve his quality of life as well.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I don't remember. And yes we did have blood tests to confirm Cushings. I'm just worried about his quality of life.

Yes I definitely understand you being worried about the quality of his life. My recommendation would be to see if his skin issues can be treated as allergies to see if he would respond to that since he has never been treated for it before. If he seems to be sensitive to oral antibiotics, you can try an injectable antibiotic called Convenia to see if it helps as well. If there is no improvement then that would confirm his quality of life is truly suffering.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'm just wondering if it should be his time to go. He has so many problems he is dealing with. Bad breath. Rotting teeth. Teeth falling out. Being hungry and thirsty all the time. Peeing a lot and having accidents. Hair loss. Skin sores. Hard anal glands. Tear stains. I feel so bad for him. It's sad.

If you feel that his problems are to numerous to even treat then it may be time to let him go. Usually a good way to determine if his quality of life is not good is that if he stops doing his routine activities then he may be telling you it is time. You can look at 3 things that he wil normally do, if he has stopped doing them then that could be an issue.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Well he loves to eat, chew bones, and sleep. Not really much else.

It is a good thing at least he still has his appetite. If there was a way to relieve him of his symptoms that would be ideal. If not then you may notice him progressively get worse and you may even notice a change in his appetite as well eventually