VetTechErin
VetTechErin, Licensed Vet Tech
Experience:  Published author in veterinary medical journals and on the Veterinary Information Network with a focus in toxicology
24209094

My dog ate an undetermined amount of cigarettes & I don't

Customer Question

My dog ate an undetermined amount of cigarettes & I don't know how long ago it happened
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Rizzo. 11 weeks. He is 13 lbs
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rizzo?
Customer: No.
Category: Dog
Expert:  VetTechErin replied 9 months ago.

Hi there! My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your question.

Do you think this happened some time today?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It happened sometime between 9:30 AM & 3;30 pm
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
My roommate said he was acting extremely hyperactive. & now he is asleep

Awww! He's a cutie! At this point, I would hate to mess around too much, and suggest you head straight into the clinic. If the number of cigarettes is unknown, it puts him in the realm of possibility for sustaining heart damage from the ingestion, the concern being with the nicotine in the cigarettes (though the butts can be a concern for blockage as well if he ingested them).

Given his small size, it wouldn't take much to cause problems, and hyperactivity can be one of the initial signs. Since he's settled down a little bit, that may be indicative of the passage of signs, but when it comes to toxins that affect the heart, we really don't want to mess around with those. I know it's getting late, but even an emergency trip to the ER vet is worthwhile to make sure it's not causing undue stress on his heart.

Do you have any further questions?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No thank you so much!

You're very welcome! Good luck and let me know if you have any follow up questions!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
VetTechErin
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
He is absolutely 100% fine! Our vet said it was a miracle given how much we think he ate. But he showed no signs of consumption. & he's been his usual Rizzo self. Thank you so much for your help!!