Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

Second opinion] My sister has a dog, named Riley, he is a 3

Customer Question

Second opinion] My sister has a dog, named Riley, he is a 3 year old pit bull. He's throwing up brown liquid with dark brown mushy solids. He didn't see him eat anything he wasn't supposed to but that doesn't mean that he didn't. It started last night around 9pm. He has vomited the same diarrhea like brown liquid and brown mushy stuff a total of 2 times.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 7 months ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

Is Riley able to defecate?

Is it unusual for him to have a few french fries?

When was he last seen by a vet?

How long has he been vomiting?

Has he had all his vaccinations?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Riley can defacate. He went to the bathroom an hour ago. With pieces of a toy he got for Christmas in it. He threw up starting last night 8pm and twice since then.The most recent was this morning. He threw up. No longer dark brown in color but there was pieces of his toy in it.It is not unusual for Riley to have French friesHe has all his vaccinations and he hasn't been seen by a vet in at least 5 months
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The toy was a stuffed animal with a noise maker inside. His vomit has pieces of the fabric and pieces of hard plastic ...presumably the inside noise maker

I didn't want you to wait for an answer so I'm going to give you some information that may be helpful.

Vomiting can occur for a number of reasons including an unusual treat, heavy parasite load, poisoning, obstruction, peritonitis and pancratitis. I see that he has possibly ingested a foreign object. That means there is a possibility that he could develop an obstruction. An obstruction happens when the intestines become blocked and food, etc stop moving through the gastrointestinal tract. When it doesn't move through, the dog becomes unable to defecate and thus whatever goes into the system has to come back out and frequently they will vomit it up. With blockages, the vomit often smells a lot like fecal matter. Of course what ever was in his system before the blockage occurred might still be defecated. With a partial blockage, you might see diarrhea along with vomiting. Read more on blockages here:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/gastric-stomach-foreign-body-in-dogs/page1.aspx In addition, wood, plastic and other foreign objects can splinter and puncture the gastrointestinal tract causing peritonitis. http://www.petplace.com/dogs/peritonitis-in-dogs/page1.aspx In addition, round objects like marbles, balls even plastic eyes are more likely to lead to an obstructions since the intestinal tract has a harder time moving that through the system. I don't think the grease in the french fries is enough to cause pancreatitis but if he got into turkey skin or chicken skin, etc, or greasy fatty food, pancreatitis might be an issue, so let me give you information on that. Pancreatitis is an inflammation of the pancreas. The pancreas is a gland that produces and releases enzymes into the digestive track that aid in the digestion of food. When these same enzymes are activated while they are still in the pancreas, inflammation occurs and the enzyme start "digesting" the pancreas itself. Some common causes of pancreatitis are eating a lot of very fatty foods, obesity, steroid use and other diseases and conditions. Symptoms of pancreatitis vary but include vomiting, diarrhea, anorexia, weakness or collapse, dehydration, shock, fever, depression, and upper abdominal pain. A dog may indicate abdominal pain by acting restless, panting, crying or wincing when picked up, shaking, standing with an arched back, or lying with the front end down and the rear end elevated You can read about it in detail here:http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1580&aid=335 http://www.petplace.com/dogs/acute-pancreatitis-in-dogs/page1.aspx Since he has been to the vet recently, he was likely checked for parasites. As a general rule we do recommend a vet visit anytime a dog has been vomiting longer than 24 hours. I know Riley has only been vomiting that long yet. However, it is friday and once he has to see an ER vet, the price of treatment goes way up. The fact that there are pieces of the stuffed animal still in his stomach this morning that haven't exited does point toward a possible obstruction. Now we do have dogs that swallow socks and other fabrics that end up vomiting them back up and are fine and it is entirely possible tat Riley may be able to expel the objects himself, but with the weekend almost here, I woud have him seen and get imaging done to check where the various parts of the stuffed animal are and if they appear to be moving through his system. If your sister's vet is open on Saturday's, she might go ahead and see about possibly bringing Riley in tomorrow if he doesn't improve today. The advise you were given as to giving pepcid and feeding a bland diet was correct but start with small portions of food so his system can adjust to having the food in it. Also if he does vomit it back up, it will only be a small amount.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time. You can still respond after rating.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Riley. How is everything going?

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. Let me know if my answer was helpful.