Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My sister has a dog, named Riley, he is a 3 year old pit.

Customer Question
My sister has a dog...
My sister has a dog, named Riley, he is a 3 year old pit bull. He's throwing up brown liquid with dark brown mushy solids. He didn't see him eat anything he wasn't supposed to but that doesn't mean that he didn't. It started last night around 9pm. He has vomited the same diarrhea like brown liquid and brown mushy stuff a total of 2 times.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog
12/30/2016
Dog Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 1 year ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food? New treats? Human food? The opportunity to get into the trash? Torn up toys, etc?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No different goods just tore up a stuffed animal
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Foods*
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He ate 3 French fries from mcdonalds

Both tearing up a stuffed animal and consuming human food can cause vomiting and diarrhea. I can give you some steps to take at home to help your companion’s stomach feel better. However, if you do not see a marked improvement from your pet or you see worsening of symptoms, they absolutely must be examined by a veterinarian.

It often helps to give something to calm the stomach and a bland diet with higher fiber. This can help to reduce the instance of nausea/vomiting, avoid or address changes in the stool, etc.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. For pets avoiding taking medication readily, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid more nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of the GI upset. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The vomit is very very foul smelling.. almost like diarrhea but vomit
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is that something abnormal?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Also, what are symptoms of blockage?

Blockage typically involves vomiting and eventually not passing stool. Dogs usually lose their appetite. We can see both partial and full blockages, but the symptoms persist over a longer period of time. This is why you see the notation in my response above that if you don't see improvements he will need to be examined. We typically begin treating all vomiting and/or diarrhea cases as GI upsets and move on to diagnostics, hospitalization, etc. if the symptoms don't resolve (and the majority do with the care mentioned above). X-rays, bloodwork, injectable meds, IV fluids therapy, etc. may all be needed in the future if a blockage has occurred, as well as surgery.

The vomit certainly doesn't have a pleasant odor to it, especially in a case where a dog has eaten oily foods like fries. I would consider this fairly normal consider what he's eaten recently.