PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My pup tore most of the leaves off a small coleus plant but

Customer Question

My pup tore most of the leaves off a small coleus plant but most leaves whole and not sure any ingested ?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Maisie , 6 Month old Golden retriever
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Maisie?
Customer: Otherwise very healthy
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 7 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Typically with coleus plants the majority of the symptoms we see are vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite and depression.

In the event that you see these symptoms, here's what I would suggest doing.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid more nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of the GI upset. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What about activated charcoal ? Have that in hand and saw that as a potential detox ?

You can certainly try it, but I would hold onto it for a more concerning toxicity, if its ever needed. We typically use preventive methods like activated charcoal when the symptoms are more aggressive than these.

Would you still like a phone call to discuss this matter? I'll be happy to call, if so.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It looks like she just picked the leaves off. Her gums aren't irritated and she's not acting sick or vomiting . I have to go out but wil buy the Pepcid just in case .

Keep me posted on how she's doing. She may have absolutely no symptoms at all if she just picked the leaves off. Typically symptoms begin a few hours after ingestion, if any will present at all.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
She was into a ROLL of toilet paper this morning as well, not sure how much she ate , But perhaps that will absorb any toxins from the leaves ?? Bad puppy today !!! Lol . I'll watch her closely over next several hours ? How soon would I see symptoms ?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok thanks, how do I get back to you if necessary ?

Use this same link and it will put you back in touch with me.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
K thanks !

Certainly.