Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

Toy Poodle pups have coccidia. Vet said Albon for 10 days. I

Customer Question

Toy Poodle pups have coccidia. Vet said Albon for 10 days. I have been told Baycox is a drug that kills it, not just making it dormant. We have had a lot of rain, and Hurricane Matthew in early October, and although my dogs live in the house, the mom dog must have contracted it. My puppies are 8 weeks old, weaned, and I almost lost the tiny girl. Took them to the vet and this is what they have. He did mention another drug, but said it was expensive. I can't remember what it was. I am a breeder, and am very concerned now that this has shown up at my home!
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your toy poodle?
Customer: Dirahhea, depressed, legarthy, won't play. She has perked up since I started Albon on Friday, the day we visited vet, but still very loose stools. She is eating and drinking, just not her usual happy self.
JA: Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your toy poodle?
Customer: she is small, just over a pound, not even one and a half pounds. I have to get some rest, its after 2 AM here. I will leave my email,***@******.***. I am also leaving this window up until morning. Thanks!
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 10 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you

Last I heard, we're not yet able to get Baycox in the USA yet. The other product your vet mentioned is likely Marquis (ponazuril). I would recommend this as it works much faster than albon and, in my experience, better. Although large volumes are expensive, it's pretty cost effective to have it compounded through Roadrunner pharmacy or similar compounding pharmacy. The marquis comes in large tubes which can run a few hundred dollars per tube. When compounded down into a smaller amount, the price point is much lower and more affordable. Talk to your vet about calling in to road runner and getting a price for you. I expect you'll find it close to the cost of Albon with less work and better efficacy for your breeding program.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

https://www.roadrunnerpharmacy.com

I have offered a call if this might also be faster and you'd like to discuss this more in depth. Otherwise, please see above.

Checking in. Were you able to reach Roadrunner?