Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My daughters Cavelier Spaniel's eye is rolling up in his

Customer Question

My daughters Cavelier King Charles Spaniel's eye is rolling up in his head. What is the causal factor?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the Cavalier King Charles spaniel's name and age?
Customer: Benson. About 4 years.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Benson?
Customer: He has problems with his inner and outer anal glands filling up and seems to have an obsessive appetite.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Lori replied 9 months ago.

Hi my name is***** and I can offer some advice.

Expert:  Dr. Lori replied 9 months ago.

How long has it been going on?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It happens when he is at her house, but not when he is at my house. What can cause that?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Can I not get an answer without paying more? I do not want to do a pho e call.
Expert:  Dr. Lori replied 9 months ago.

sure the

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
For many monthes off and on
Expert:  Dr. Lori replied 9 months ago.

the website automatically offers that....

Expert:  Dr. Lori replied 9 months ago.

is it just one eye?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Expert:  Dr. Lori replied 9 months ago.

what happens? which way does it roll? Is there a way to get me a picture of this?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am asking her right now if she has a photo of it.
Expert:  Dr. Lori replied 9 months ago.

perfect!

Expert:  Dr. Lori replied 9 months ago.

how you guys doin?

Expert:  Dr. Lori replied 9 months ago.

Im going to pass you back to the other experts. If your question is not answered by tomorrow I will come back and answer for you.

Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 9 months ago.

I'm sorry no other expert picked up your question. I just signed on today and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

The rolling back of the eye is called Enophthalmus and you read about conditions causing this on the following site:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/enophthalmos-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Pain is a common cause for this to occur as is horner syndrome. Pain could be from corneal ulceration or injury which may be the case given the eye is discharging fluid.

Horner syndrome can also be a cause. You can read about this here:

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_horner_s_syndrome.html

If it doesn't occur at your house perhaps there is something at her house that is affecting the dog physically. Perhaps an allergy is leading to some inflammation of the eye and the allergen is not present at your house. Certain fumes might affect a dog as well.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

Just a quick note to see if you found my answer helpful since I haven't heard back from you. Was there something I failed to address for you?