Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

MY DOG HAS SWOLLEN LYMPH NODES, 1300 .00 LATER, STILL

MY DOG HAS SWOLLEN LYMPH...
MY DOG HAS SWOLLEN LYMPH NODES, 1300 .00 LATER , STILL SWOLLEN, ON 2 DIFFEENT ABX, AND HAD LABS, WAS WORKED UP FOR LYME DISEASE, FOUND TICK ON MY SHIH TZU, NOW VET WANTS TO DO NEEEDLE BIOPSY, AND MY DOGS IS EATING DRINKING, PLAYING ACTING FINE, I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO, I'M SICK OVER IT, NOT TO SAY ITS BEFORE THE HOLIDAYS
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: CODY
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about CODY?
Customer: HE HAS ALOT OF ALLERGIES, ALWAYS SCRATCHING, I HAVE HIM ON NATURAL BALANCE, DUCK AND SWEET POTATO FOOD, AND PRN BENADRYL IS 6 YEARS OLD
11/29/2016
Carole Cocagne
Carole Cocagne, Veterinarian

Hi I'm Dr. Carole and I'm sorry to hear about Cody. Are multiple lymph nodes swollen? Which antibiotics are you using? What labs were done and were the results normal?

He was on amoxicillin for 1 week, had 3 shots the first day at vet, I was told steroid, and Abx, had labs, was told he had infection, he was thinking Lyme disease, however negative. He is now on med that sounds like Bactrium, but not, was golden stronger Abx, he also had cxr, and was told not cancer?. He wanted me to take him back toda y for needle biopsy, and told me it would cost a lot of money. Lymph nodes in neck are enlarged. He is acting fine, playing, eating, drinking, running in yard, I don't know if I should get 2 opinion ?. Does he have to give me Cody's records, or can he refuse?hes my baby, I don't know what to do?.

OK well sounds like if it was a bacterial infection there should be some improvement with the antibiotics that he has been on. So not sure what the doctor saw on the labs that made him think an infection, maybe increased white blood cell count. Glad he came back negative for lymes. CXR I'm guessing is chest x ray, the doctor may have been looking for evidence of cancer metastasis or spread but a negative x ray doesn't mean it is not cancer. I'd be worried about something called Lymphoma which is cancer of the lymph nodes. This often doesn't show up on x ray. A fine needle aspirate of the lymph node would help in diagnosing this problem and that is something I would recommend. It would have been the first thing I would have done. I don't know what a lot of money means, it usually is pretty affordable to send it out to the lab for analysis. I think second opinions are always a good idea, the vet should be willing to send the records to another vet.

Cody doesn't have any other infections like an ear infection or tooth root abcess? The lymph nodes in the neck drain the structures in the head and if there is a problem somewhere else that needs to be addressed before the lymph nodes will go down.

Not to my knowledge , the vet said he needs his teeth cleaned , and he did have a cyst removed from left ear canal by same vet, due to cysts that ship tzus get. He told me procedure will be very expensive to do needle biopsy, and then possible surgery

Well at my clinic it is generally less than $100 so get a treatment plan from your vet. If it is lymphoma there is no surgery but rather medical management with chemotherapeutic drugs. I think your idea of getting a second opinion is a good one. This vet seems reluctant to perform a procedure that in my opinion needs to be done.

Ty

If I can be of further help please let me know. If you are satisfied with my response please provide a rating so I can get credit for my answer. Thanks and good luck

Carole Cocagne
Carole Cocagne, Veterinarian
Carole Cocagne
Carole Cocagne
Carole Cocagne, Veterinarian